Sunday, October 30, 2011

Black-Screen-Death...Oh My!

A little over a year ago, I made a horrible, sad discovery... at a very inconvenient time and place.  It was the at the O'Hare Airport in Chicago and we were on our way to Vietnam.  My Canon camera - the one I sold my plasma to save up enough money to purchase - decided to stop working.  I had checked it a few days before leaving and all was well, but once we were on our way it just went black.  What I didn't know is that this model is prone to "black screen death", or at least that's what all the other poor Canon customers were calling this issue.  So I had to lug this large useless  camera  brick halfway around the world and back, and had to settle getting pictures with Bubba's little point-and-shoot Olympus.  After returning home, I tried all the "tricks" that worked for other people on the various forums I trolled, but I still had "black screen death".  Well, at least I still had my work camera if I needed it - except now I'm not working and had to send back all my equipment - so no camera for me...until now!

My mom and M-I-L both sent $$ for my birthday (the best present, in my opinion) and I went camera shopping.  I really wanted a digital SLR and I was going to take photography classes and become this fantastic photographer.  Um....yeah....when will I do this?  So I decided to settle on a cheap little point-and-shoot camera, but one with a better zoom than Bubba's (his is not that great).   I came away with a not cheap (but reasonable) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V.  This is Sony's top of the line Cyber-shot...but I went in for the lower end one that was on sale.  I love how they totally up-sell you on these things, and I was an easy mark, an easy, easy mark.  E-Z...really.  I love gadgets, and the more something does the more I WANT it!  LOL  This thing does everything but cook me breakfast (and I have Bubba for that).  I still have not figured out everything - but I'm having fun with it.  It does sweeping panorama shots in normal mode, HD and even 3D.  It does impressive macro shots and you can blur the background like the more expensive D-SLRs.  It also records movies in full HD 1080.   It has a 16x zoom and the colors translate so well.  I am in love with my little camera - one of these days I will graduate to a D-SLR and maybe even take some photography classes, but for now this is more than enough camera for me.



No comments: