Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Insanity is....

Albert Einstein once said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".  According to Einstein, I would almost guarantee that we have been insane for the past several of years.  Let me explain...

Since about the middle of Bubba's time over at Palmer, we decided that we would like to live in the greater Denver Colorado area.  During his final year, as well as the months following graduation, we continually tried to find a way to go to Denver.  I had a job there waiting for me, so that was an easy decision.  What wasn't easy was finding a clinic for Bubba.  Numerous road trips (and large travel expenses) later, what did we come up with?  Nothing.  Nada.  Zip.  Zilch.   It didn't matter what avenue we pursued, nothing opened up.  We looked at associateships, independent contractorships, sharing office space, buying an existing practice, and opening our own clinic. Nothing panned out.  We found one space sharing option that was promising, but the location was way too small and wasn't set up for how Bubba wanted to practice.  Maybe we were being too picky, but some things you just don't want to compromise with.  We were lucky...I had a good job in Iowa and we could take our time to find the right fit. 

As some of you may know, we decided to break the Denver search cycle and opened our sites to the rest of the country (see posts from last fall).  Well that, my friends, was the end of the insanity but the beginning of a whole different kind of crazy.  Bubba placed a great ad on Planet Chiro with his CV attached, and his phone and email lit up with docs wanting to interview, and some even making offers site unseen.  After much weeding out and MANY phone calls later (although we were not too happy with the cell minutes significantly over our monthly allotment), we made a decision. 

First, we had to send Bubba for an interview.  I decided not to go, just to save $$.  We booked his flights and all was well.  The next day, my mom convinced me to go too, and even paid for the ticket, so I went ahead and booked a flight.  Unfortunately, not the SAME flight.  Not even close.  Bubba had an uneventful flight to Baltimore, rented a car, had a nice drive down to Salisbury and stayed at the Marriot. I had a significantly different experience...I had the flight from hell.  Due to flight scheduling, I flew into Reagan in DC.  There were severe winds that day, and flights were rumored to be grounded...but we made it...barely.  Coming in over the Patomac River, the winds hit hard...the plane was being shook violently both vertically and horizontally.  The flight attendants were screaming, which did not give much comfort to us passengers.  We had to take numerous passes at the runway before the pilot was finally able to set us firmly on the tarmac.  We were alive and unharmed...there was applause.   Because of the winds, we landed late...very late.  This matters only because of my rental car.  Due to homeland security issues around the DC area (or so we were told), I could not rent a car at one airport and drop it at another, and I was leaving from Baltimore, not DC.  So, I had to catch the metro/subway from Reagan, switching lines halfway through, then take a bus to the Baltimore airport.  Timing was everything...and nothing worked as planned.  I missed the train by 30 seconds, so I took the next one.  Ultimately, that caused me to miss my bus, so I had to wait an hour for the next one.  And I had to pee.  Sorry if that is TMI, but there's nothing worse than being stressed, having to go and having nowhere to go.  But I digress....it all ended up working out - I eventually go to the car rental desk, got the car and proceeded to drive to Salisbury.  I'm still not sure my trip was really worth all the effort, especially seeing as I only stayed one night (albeit it was at a Marriott) and had to leave the next day, but it was definitely an adventure...and I LOVE adventures!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Nightmare flight! Glad you survived to tell the tale. So much for part one--waiting for part two with baited breath.