Saturday, July 18, 2009

So, what do you do when faced with disappointment? Apparently I start a new hobby. We were all set for a weekend of fishing on Lake Michigan with some friends (and I was REALLY looking forward to it) when Randy came down with a nasty bug Thursday night. I was hoping it was just a little cold...but NO - he ended up flat on his back on the couch with a fever all day Friday. So, needless to say we had to call our friends and back out of our trip at the last minute. I was bummed...although we will be going again in a few weeks. With a sick husband on the couch watching TV, I decided to learn to knit. Why? I still have unfinished projects in other mediums that are just sitting there taunting me. I find myself easily sucked in to trying to make pretty things, and my friend Jessi keeps posting about her knitting, so there I go teaching myself to knit. It's slow going really, but that's because I keep getting wrapped up looking at beautiful projects on ravelry.com. The other problem with a new hobby is the expense. I have the tools and supplies for my other hobbies, so why should I go out and buy more stuff? I practically had to hog-tie myself to the house to keep from going out to buy yarn...I have a whole tub of leftovers from crochet projects so I shouldn't buy more (at least until I know what I'm doing), right? Hopefully I will be able to make something that is not horrible and at least somewhat cute.

2 comments:

Jessim said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Linda said...

Yes, that's the power Jessi has over us! We both have tried to knit now and I'm betting neither of us will have hand knitted socks lying around the house anytime soon. But lets get together and knit sometime--add the cost of gas to knitting :)